Friday, January 7, 2011

Ten means ten, for ten, of course!!


That's how much these fingerprints cost, one of the steps required to change your name. It is time alas to return to Mary Trivisonno. My kids gave me the gift of name change for my birthday last year, and getting these prints was the final step before submitting the legal paperwork. OK, Ian submitting; thank you Ian!! I really should have had more kids, they are so damn helpful now that they are adults. Had I considered this role reversal, I may have had more. Could have spread out all my SOS calls. But as always, I digress!

The prints are made at Lex. County Sheriff Department, a large complex just a tad intimidating. Three buildings: Court, Detention, and Administration. Obviously, I chose the latter. Nervously, I explained I needed fingerprints FOR A NAME CHANGE, in case anyone in ear shot really cared. I was told "over to detention" (fondly conjuring up high school escapades and the repercussions).

Here, the guys stay behind glass, wielding weapons. Again, nervously I explain I need fingerprints FOR A NAME CHANGE. And here is the scenario between heavily armed man (HAM) and little old me (LOM). Bear in mind HAM is strictly monotone.

HAM: I need your license and ten dollars
LOM: Here you go sir (smiling as I handed him my license and a twenty)
HAM: No change
LOM: Oh, well, OK maybe I can make ten (counting my loose bills and change I only come up with $9.50)

Needing only 50 mere cents, I panhandle attorneys visiting their clients and other fingerprint seekers, with no success--- oh yes I did.

LOM:Um sir, I hate to have to drive here again, I will go look for more change in my car (to which he does not reply!)

I find some change, return, get back in line. I am not sure why everyone else needs fingerprints; normally I would be mildly curious but now I just want to get it done and leave, I am starting to get a little nervous in the detention center for this long.

HAM: You are back
LOM: Yes sir (as I hand him my license, a five, three ones and two dollars in change- change he knows I have been scrounging to get!!)
HAM: We don't take coins, bills only.
LOM: You have got to be kidding, what the hell, take this money, you KNOW I have been looking for change, make my fingerprints...NOW!!!! (OK, not really, but I thought it)

In actuality, I again implore my fellow detainees for help.

Mercifully (a bit dramatic but I am tired of loudly explaining NAME CHANGE, bumming money, and it is getting crowded) someone comes up with two one dollar BILLS and I get fingerprinted!

Ringrazi il dio! A little closer to Mary T.

4 comments:

EMU said...

Oooooooh! This is exciting! Congrats on changing your name back. Did you ever consider picking a totally new last name?

Mermis said...

Oh my, NEVER! Why would I do that when I have a perfectly good one to reclaim. It is my middle name now anyway, just taking back my old middle name now.

Nana said...

I am still laughing and crying!
For COL (crying out loud), you went thru all that just to get it as your middle name!!!! What do they make you do to drop off your last name??????

Joanie said...

UN....BELIEVABLE! I have a great visual. So sorry you had to go through that but you know... it makes a good story. Trivisanno (sp?) is a much cooler name anyway. Does that mean tha Martha is now you middle name??