Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I was NOT born a coal miner's daughter!!



No, but my father was in fuel too, of the nuclear variety. If I had been born a coal miner's daughter, maybe I would have become a famous country music singer. I think I can rhyme better than daughter and holler, tired and hard! But it worked for Loretta Lynn and that is why I think she is awesome.

So awesome in fact I couldn't resist visiting her birthplace, Butcher Holler. On my way home last week from Portsmouth I stopped in the famous Route 23 Country Music Highway Museum and checked things out with the other two visitors. I was told by the curator (I job I would love to have, especially there) that Butcher Holler was only 15 miles away. What?? I am that close to Butcher Holler!? Well, fifteen LONG miles, as the miles are way longer when driving in hollers! At one point, I pulled over to check the directions, thinking surely I must be there by now. A nice man (NM) in a pick-up pulled up beside little ol' me (LOM) and the conversation went something like this.

NM: Hey there, you lookin' for LO-retta Lynn's ol' house?
LOM: No sir,I am just taking my dog Ellie for a little joy ride through the Kentucky hollers during this crazy thunderstorm!
(OK, I said yes, as it seemed pretty obvious and I am not really a smart ass!!)
NM: Well just foller me up the holler (now THAT is a good rhyme!).
LOM: No way I am follerin' you up this holler. I am alone, out in the middle of no freakin' where with no weapons, like I notice you have, and just this little schnoodle for protection. Do you think I am crazy???
(OK, I didn't say that either, just follered him on up the holler.)
And now, I have been to Butcher Holler!!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

i am much more impressed now that i actually know who Loretta Lynn is.
jeff caught me up.

Joanie said...

You had me for a minute with your cautious attitude and all. Didn't sound like the Mary I know. :)