Friday, November 19, 2010

Guatemala













So while Ellie was busy having loose stools all over Ian's house, Maria's dorm room AND even Ian and Maria's girl/guy friends places as well (not to make anyone feel left out I suppose), I was in Guatemala.

Guatemala is a beautiful country with friendly people, a vibrant culture and lots of scary chicken buses. These are old American school buses painted all crazy and then used to haul people and chickens all around the country, hence the name chicken bus! The buses are crazy enough, but considering the roads are always semi-complete thanks to the never ending mud slides, it makes for very exhilarating rides. Although I will say there are certain family members who scare me more!

Showers are scary too, some electrical wiring contraption that you can't touch, lest you get shocked. It doesn't even work most of the time so cold showers and sorta clean hair are common.

The kids at the Catholic school did a little show for us on the last day. The little guy to the far left was not having fun though, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but standing in front of us! Second group wore "western" clothes and sang "We are the World" MTV style! Very Cute!!

When I went in January several of us got up at 4:00 AM to hike to the top of the largest volcano with one of the nuns (pictured above). She hiked three miles up and down a narrow, rocky trail in FULL HABIT!! I was sweating profusely, couldn't walk down stairs without pain for two weeks after the hike, and she strolled down in THAT; I don't even think she broke a sweat. No wonder when she described it to us I had visions of strolling myself, as in the Sound of Music! No similarities I can assure you!! But I was singing.... The hills are alive, with the sound of music!

And yes, that is me with a little girl and a big beer. Michelle and Gallo; my scarf lady friend's daughter and the local beer.

I miss Guatemala!!

No comments: