Thursday, December 2, 2010

What about Bob??

So, I guess it is time for a post about the occasional 'adventure' of dating at my age.

First off, I have decided to call all past, present and future dates Bob, because really there are so (not) many. Simplifies it and lets everyone remain anonymous. So all future references to Bob, are in no way, shape or form referring to the original Bob. Original Bob constitutes half the gene pool for three awesome kids, who wants to complain about that?

But let's face it, there are a lot of Bobs. I realize there are a lot of Marys too, so if any single guy out there chooses to call all his p,p & f dates Mary I will not take offense. In fact, when I was half of the Original Bob & Mary, we had not one, but two other Bob & Mary friends. So we just added an adjective. We had Big Bob & Mary (both were over 6 ' tall) and Anne's Bob & Mary (they were my friend Anne's relatives). Adjectives are after all so descriptive! So...........

Meet Frugal Bob

In all fairness (and I am a fair person), FB was/is a great guy: smart, well educated (as in Harvard), kind, good shoes (don't know why, but this is always an important factor for me). But this guy wrote the book on frugal! First, lets not confuse frugal with cheap, that is a whole other issue (and a whole other guy, Cheap Bob).

Early on with FB, I was in his kitchen trying to impress with my culinary skills. Although in all honesty, that was super easy because he only ate tuna from a can and Hot Pockets anyway. I was making dinner and needed a strainer, as no dinner is complete w/o pasta. I looked in the pantry......

And found........ nothing and I swear nothing, but toilet paper and coffee!! What????????? Well, turns out FB traveled a lot for his job and apparently NEVER left his hotel room without copping the TP and coffee. It's free, right? Actually double free, the company picks up the hotel tab. Rolls and rolls of individually wrapped TP and mountains of individual coffee packets! Not only coffee packets, but millions, ok thousands, of artificial sweeteners, sugars, fake creamers, stirrers, the whole deal. Now I have been known to take an occasional shampoo or lotion, but this seemed a bit excessive! Especially when FB himself drank his coffee with milk only! There are many more examples of this er frugality, but you get the idea.

FB is actually still a good friend but we no longer date; he lives out of town and well, you know, gas is expensive!

4 comments:

EMU said...

YES!!! This is what I've been waiting for! :)

Kristen said...

hahahahahahaha!

Nana said...

awwwww, yes, the REST of the story. Love it!

Anonymous said...

MM you are such a good writer. I have great visual and sore stomach from laughing!