Wednesday, December 15, 2010

There is no one like mom!

Mom
Next to Mom is my favorite ornament that hung on our Christmas tree while I was growing up. She gave it to me when I left home.

Needlepoint stockings she made. Every grandchild has one!
Ceramic nativity Mom made for me in 1979!


I miss my mom every day, but if possible, I miss her more at Christmas. She loved Christmas! She loved to shop, decorate, and host all of us, especially the grand kids. Mom would wait on them tirelessly hand and foot, she was so proud of them. Nothing made her happier than having the whole group together.

Mom always had a hard time making decisions. That is probably an understatement, she agonized over every decision she had to make. Sometimes this drove me nuts, but never at Christmas! Because..........when she couldn't make a definite decision about a gift, she bought two, or three spares. A regular event of our gift opening (we are a one-at-a-time family) was mom scurrying off exclaiming "wait, I have another____ under my bed"....color, size, whatever was the root of her indecision!

And at the end of it all , she always exclaimed "I'd say we all had a nice Christmas!!"

We still say it of course, and my Dad does a great job of keeping her spirit alive, decorating the house, waiting on the grand kids, etc but.... well, there is no one like Mom.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I miss Grandma T too! I know I didn't get to know her for very long, but I really felt like she was my grandma too, not just Jeff's. Sometimes I think about how much she would have adored our girls.

Joanie said...

So true and a sweet tribute. Do you think tha brought a tear to my eye???